Dental care is a very personalized service that requires a good relationship between the dentist and the patient. We understand that choosing a dentist can be daunting, but we find that communication is the key. We urge you to speak with your potential new dentist's office before making a decision. You may want to share with them your own specific concerns, and consider factors such as the following, suggested by the American Dental Association (ADA) and the Santa Barbara-Ventura County Dental Society (SBVCDS):
- Are the office hours convenient for you?
- Is the office location easy to get to from your home or job?
- Is the staff communicative and courteous?
During your first visit, you should be able to determine whether this is the right dentist for you. Once you are in the office, you can consider:
- Does the office appear to be clean, neat and orderly?
- Was your medical and dental history recorded and placed in a permanent file?
- Does the dentist explain techniques that will help you prevent dental health problems? Is dental health instruction provided?
- Are special arrangements made for handling emergencies outside of office hours? (Most dentists make arrangements with a colleague or emergency referral service if they are unable to tend to emergencies.)
- At your request, is information provided about fees and treatment plans? Are payment plans available?
By choosing a Member of your local Dental Society, you are assured that your dentist belongs to the ADA. All ADA Member dentists voluntarily agree to abide by the high ethical standards reflected in the ADA Principles of Ethics and Code of Professional Conduct as a condition of membership. SBVCDS Member dentists also contribute to the oral health and education or people in your community.
Thank you for allowing us to help you with your dental needs, and please don't hesitate to call on us again if we can be of further assistance. We are eager to assist you in your search for a dentist, so please contact us by phone at (805) 648-7282 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.